- About this policy
- Collecting your personal information
- Use and disclosure of your personal information
- Travelling with others, corporate accounts and government travel
- Overseas disclosures
- Thinking of joining us?
- Our marketing and your personal information
- How we hold your personal information and keep it safe
- Access to and correction of your personal information
- How to make a complaint
- Contact us
Tigerair Australia is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information.
We also provide specific privacy collection notices relating to our particular services and practices, where required under Australian Privacy Principle 5 (“Privacy Statements”). You can access our Privacy Statements here.
2.1 Types of information we collect
The personal information we collect will depend on your relationship with us and the service you have requested. It may include:
- your identity and contact details including: name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, gender, passport or other identification details and photograph;
- payment information in connection with a booking or additional product or service purchased through our website or Customer Care Centre;
- itinerary and other travel related information (such as special assistance requirements);
- IP address or MAC address when using our website or mobile applications;
- if you use social media to interact with us, any information that you allow the social media site to share with us; and
- information relating to your dealings with us, including developing insights about you so that we can better understand your preferences and interests.
2.2 Collecting sensitive information
We may collect health or other sensitive information about you:
- if relevant to your travel arrangements, for example, where you make a “Special Assistance” request, provide your dietary requirements or otherwise provide us with health information;
- have a medical condition and are required to complete a medical clearance form; or
- are involved in a safety investigation, complaint or claim.
Depending on the circumstances in which we are collecting health information from you, we collect health information so that we can:
- establish your requirements and make any Special Assistance or other travel arrangements for you;
- process your medical clearance form; or
- investigate safety incidents or accidents, complaints or claims.
Where possible, we will allow you to interact with us anonymously or using a pseudonym. For example, if you contact Customer Care with a general enquiry, you may choose not to provide your name unless we need it to adequately handle your enquiry.
However, for most of our functions and activities we usually need your name and contact information.
2.4 How we collect personal information
We collect your personal information in a number of ways. We may collect your personal information directly from you or in the course of our dealings with you, for example when you:
- provide personal information to us, for example, when you make or update a booking, subscribe to our email or other communications, enter a competition, provide feedback to us or otherwise interact with us;
- visit our website, social media channels or mobile applications;
- apply for a position with us;
- complete a form for us, such as medical clearance, claim and unaccompanied minor forms; or
- contact us by phone or through our website. We generally record our calls and so we will collect any personal information you provide during the call.
We may also collect personal information about you from someone other than you. This may include our related entities and:
- a person who makes, changes or enquires about a flight or other booking on your behalf or who otherwise interacts with us on your behalf (such as a family member, travel or booking agents, sales agents or your employer or other representative as part of a corporate or group booking);
- recruitment agencies and previous employers, if you have applied for a position with us and with your consent;
- our service providers and contractors (such as ground handlers, customer contact centre operators, marketing agencies, data analytics providers and sales agencies, and payment fulfilment and fraud protection providers);
- our airline or non-airline partners, such as car rental providers, hoteliers, airport transfer and parking providers, travel insurance providers and foreign exchange services; and
- government agencies and regulatory authorities, including immigration and border security and police, and airport security.
We may combine and/or compare personal information we hold about you with other information collected from, or held by, others. We do this to better understand your interests and preferences, which helps us to enhance your experience. More information about why we do this is provided under ‘Why we collect personal information’.
2.5 Why we collect personal information
We collect your personal information so that we can provide you with our services and any products that you may have requested, to contact you and to carry out our functions and activities.
The purposes for which we collect your personal information may include:
- processing and making arrangements for your booking and any additional products or services you requested during the booking process;
- verifying your identity;
- communicating with you before and after your flight, including to provide flight updates and request your feedback;
- communicating with our airline or non-airline partners in connection with service offers and discounts made available when you book with us;
- communicating with your travel or booking agent about your booking and your experience with us;
- determining issues of passenger safety, security and other requirements, including special assistance requirements and medical fitness to fly;
- providing and operating our competitions, promotions and events; contacting you with marketing and promotional material about our offers or promotions, and those of our related entities, airline and non-partners and other third parties;
- developing insights about you so that we can better understand your preferences and interests. We do this to identify products, services that may be of interest to you, personalise your experience and enhance the products and services offered by us, our related entities and our airline and non-airline partners. We may also use trusted service providers to undertake the process of creating these insights.
- responding to feedback, queries and complaints;
- helping us to continuously improve the services and products we offer; and
- to comply with legal, audit, reporting, record-keeping and investigation requirements and for operational or regulatory compliance purposes.
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purposes described in ‘Why we collect personal information’. If we need to handle you information for any other purpose, we will only do so with your consent or where you may otherwise reasonably expect us to do so.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- to our airline partners, other airlines and our non-airline partners about your booking;
- to travel or booking agents;
- to any person who can provide us with the Passenger Reference Number for your booking (located at the top of your itinerary) and confirm the full name of one or more passengers included in the booking;
- to the account holder or card holder of the credit card used to pay for your booking;
- to our third party product and service providers, including those providing catering, ground handling, cargo handling, technology and related support services, call centre services, promotions and prize fulfilments services, marketing and advertising services, data analysis and business intelligence services, payment fulfilment and fraud protection services and security services;
- in the event of an emergency or other serious incident, to government departments/officials and agencies, support organisations and persons involved in the incident response, relevant foreign embassies/consulates and to your family member(s) who contact us seeking information about your travel arrangements;
- to our professional advisers and insurers;
- in connection with the investigation of fraud or suspicious activity relating to services provided by us, our airline partners, other airlines or non-airline partners;
- where permitted or required by law or order of a court/tribunal; and
- various law enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities and governments in Australia and around the world and their service providers for security, customs and immigration purposes.
If your booking contains more than one guest (whether you and your family or a friend, or a group booking for 10 or more) or you are travelling under a corporate account, then we will collect your personal information from you or the person who made or updates the booking on your behalf.
We may also disclose your personal information to the person who made or updated your booking or to other persons included in the booking.
If your booking is made through your employer’s corporate travel agreement or through a government travel agreement (or for official government purposes) with Virgin Australia, we may collect your personal information from and disclose your personal information to your employer / relevant government body (or their representative), including your itinerary, information relating to your travel including check-in, “no-show” or boarding status and any incident reports.
We may disclose your personal information to organisations or persons located outside of Australia. The countries in which these organisations or persons are located will depend on the circumstances, but in the course of our ordinary operations, we generally disclose personal information to third parties located in the United Kingdom, the United States of America, India, The Philippines and Singapore, Indonesia and Germany, Ireland, Spain and Israel.
When you apply for a job with us, we will generally collect the personal information that you include in your application, such as your contact details, career history and education details. We may also collect sensitive information from you if it is relevant for the role you are applying for, for example, medical information or criminal history. We may also collect information about whether you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander for our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
We may also obtain personal information about you from third parties with your consent, for example, from your previous employers or nominated referees. We collect personal information for the purpose of assessing and progressing your application. We will hold your personal information for future job opportunities with us, unless you tell us not to.
We may disclose your personal information to our related entities, your referees and also to third party suppliers that we use to help with our recruitment processes, such as recruitment agencies and organisations that conduct competency or psychometric tests. We may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies to verify whether you have a criminal record.
Cookies are tiny files sent to your browser and stored by your browser on your computer or other device that you're using to access our website or use our mobile applications.
Our cookies collect your IP address or MAC address, the city associated with your IP or MAC address, the date and time of your visit to our website, pages viewed, the URL of the website that you viewed before our website and the type of browser you use.
We also use web tracking/analytic tools that generate detailed statistics about traffic to our website and traffic sources. These tools can also measure and record conversions and sales.
The cookies and web-tracking tools allow our websites and mobile applications to interact more efficiently with the device you are using and to help us improve the content and functioning of our website and mobile applications.
We use personal information that we hold about you to identify services and products that may be of interest to you.
We may contact you by email, text message or other digital service (such as through our applications that you install on your device such as mobile or iPad), phone or post to let you know about our flight specials and promotions, and those of our airline and non-airline partners and third party offers and promotions or any new or existing products or services that may be of interest to you pre and post flight. You can contact us at any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing materials from us, our related entities or our partners. If you receive a marketing email from us, you can opt-out from that particular category of marketing email by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email.
9.1 Our systems
We mostly hold personal information electronically in our IT systems and databases. We also hold personal information in telephone recordings and in hard copy paper files. We use third party service providers to store some personal information.
We take steps to protect the information that we hold about you from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We do this by having physical and electronic security systems and by limiting who can access your personal information. We also have online and network security systems in place for our websites, so that the information you provide us online is protected and secure. However, because of the nature of the internet, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. Please contact us if you become aware of any breach of security.
9.2 Keeping your booking safe
Your Passenger Reference Number (located at the top of your flight confirmation) is like your password for your booking.
You can help us protect your privacy by keeping your Passenger Reference Number safe. Don’t share your Passenger Reference Number with any other person, unless you are happy for them to receive information from us about your booking and travel arrangements and to make changes to your booking.
We will only update a flight booking or otherwise provide information in relation to a booking (including passenger names, destinations, changes or interruptions to travel or no-shows) or provide copies of flight confirmations or tax invoices, if our verification criteria are met.
If you believe your Passenger Reference Number has been obtained by someone who you do not want to have access to your booking, please notify us immediately.
You have a right to request access to or correction of the personal information we hold about you.
If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information we hold about you, please contact us on the details below. We will need to verify your identity before we can process your request.
We will respond to your request within a reasonable time of you making the request and give you access in the manner you requested, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so.
Sometimes we will be able to respond to your query over the phone, but sometimes we may need your request in writing and we might need some time to gather the requested information and get back to you. These more complex requests usually take us between 14 and 30 days. We might need to send a copy of the information to you by post or we might ask you to come and see us to have a look at the information.
Making a request is free. But depending on what information you request access to, we may need to charge you for giving you access to the information. The charges will not be excessive and we'll let you know if a charge will apply before we proceed with giving you access. There is no charge for correcting your personal information.
If we refuse to correct your personal information that we hold, you can ask us to associate with that information a statement that the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading.
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, you can make a complaint by contacting us using the details below.
Once we have received your complaint, we will investigate and respond to you as soon as we can. We try to do this within 10 working days of receiving your complaint. If this is not possible, we will contact you and let you know when we will respond to your complaint.
We take any privacy complaint seriously and will deal with your complaint fairly and promptly. However if you are not satisfied with our response or how we handled your complaint, you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (in writing) at:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: 1300 363 992
TTY: 1800 620 241
If your complaint relates to our airline services (rather than privacy), you can contact us through our regular contact channels, where you will be directed to a complaint handling and dispute resolution process for eligible airline customers.
We will post all updates to our privacy page.
You can contact us by:
Telephone: 1300 174266 (dialing within Australia) or +61 7 3295 2104.
Writing to us at:
Tiger Airways Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2101
Melbourne VIC 3043