Please be advised that Tigerair will move its Melbourne operation into the brand new Terminal 4 at Melbourne Airport which opens on 18 August 2015. From this date all Tigerair services in and out of Melbourne will be from the new-look Terminal 4. Please click here more information.
This is a really exciting development for Tigerair and for you, our customer. The state-of-the-art new facilities will significantly enhance your experience when you fly with us next to and from Melbourne.
The construction of the new terminal has been underway for nearly two years and we thank you for your patience during this time as we work closely with Melbourne Airport to transform the budget airline travel experience at our busiest port.
While this is a major step change for our airline and for you, please note that the new terminal opening on 18 August, is very much phase one of the development. The new check-in hall, security screening, rest areas and arrivals hall will be a marked improvement on our current facilities in Melbourne, while the departure gates area remains under construction with completion due early in 2016.
The new terminal is essentially right next door to our former facilities and is well signposted so it shouldn't add any extra time to your journey but as always, we advise you allow plenty of time to cater for unforeseen delays getting to the airport. We recommend that you aim to arrive at least 90 minutes before your scheduled departure flight time as check-in always closes strictly 45 minutes prior to the departure time.
Melbourne Airport has invested significantly in the new Terminal 4 which includes a streamlined design and advanced technology. This new terminal will become the first in the Asia Pacific region to feature fully self-service check-in facilities, with no conventional check-in desks.
Our check-in staff will be completely mobile to assist you to check in, print out boarding passes on the spot, change flight details or help you to use the self-serve check in kiosks and automated bag drop facilities at Terminal 4 Melbourne.
For more information or to plan your journey to Melbourne Airport and check for any changed traffic conditions, please check the Tigerair or Melbourne Airport website, and/or Facebook and Twitter pages before your travel date.
To help you on your journey, we wish to advise you of a check list of what changes and what doesn't change from our former facilities when you fly with us to/from Melbourne from18 August.
What doesn't change;
- Road access to T4.
- Pick-up/drop off zone.
- Taxi, Bus and Transport Services (still in front of Terminals 2 and 3).
- Pedestrian access to the terminal.
- Check-in close (remains strictly 45 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time) and boarding gate close times (doors to the aircraft close 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure time).
What does change;
- New Terminal entry (immediately adjacent to the former T4). Approximately 10 metres from our former Terminal 4.
- Retail outlets – there will be limited availability of retail outlets initially (coffee and snacks will be available from 18 August) and over time there will be a full retail offering in the departures area.
- Full self-serve functionality (no conventional check-in counters). However all of our staff will be mobile and roaming to assist you with checking in.
- Your friends and family can now go through security and use the departure lounge to farewell you before you fly.
- You will need to monitor flight information on the display screens throughout the new Terminal 4. We will continue to make final call announcements over the PA system, but please ensure you go to the gate as soon as the “Boarding” notification is displayed on the screens.
- Departing customer path to aircraft (through level one common user lounge).
- Arriving customers path to baggage collection area and exit (reverse of departure path through the common user departure lounge).
- Arrivals carousels within the new terminal.
Road works are underway around Terminal 4. To find out the latest information please click here.
Collection point for Terminal 4 arriving passengers
To avoid congestion we encourage friends and family collecting passengers to utilise the free 20 minute Ring & Ride wait zone inside the outdoor Long Term Car Park. The Ring & Ride zone is located at the corner of Mercer Drive and Melrose Drive.
Please visit Melbourne Airport News to find out more information on traffic and construction. There is signage along all roads to assist, and we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please bear with us whilst Melbourne Airport is building a better airport.
travelling into melbourne
If you're transferring to another flight on Tigerair Australia from Melbourne, we do recommend you to allow an additional 5 minutes to your schedule as you will be required to walk from Arrivals to Departures.
If you're transferring to another carrier located in Terminal 1, 2 or 3; we highly recommend allowing an additional 15 minutes to make your way to the other terminals.
Public transport including Sky Bus or taxi rank and the long/short term car park can be reached within a 15 minute walk.
We have increased airport staff during the construction period to assist customers during this time. Web check is highly recommended to avoid queues during check-in.